Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Give Me Fever, Inauguration Fever!

The more I think about it, the more Barack Obama is starting to remind me of Jimmy Clausen. I know it might seem a bit odd to compare the President-elect to Notre Dame's quarterback, but let me take you back to 2006.

That April, Clausen was the No. 1 quarterback recruit in the country when he was scheduled to announce his commitment to Notre Dame at the College Football Hall of Fame. Then a junior in high school, Clausen showed up to the announcement in a stretch Hummer limo with an entourage in tow. It seemed a bit over the top at the time, but Fighting Irish fans didn't care. In fact, they were fired up. This guy was going to save Notre Dame football. But to this point, he hasn't.

As we get ready for Obama's inauguration next Tuesday, I can't help but see some parallels. It seems like everyone I know (and yes, I realize I live in a Democrat-centric world) has got inauguration fever. If they're not going down to DC next week, they know someone who is, or wish they were. Frankly, I just don't get it.

I'm as excited and hopeful about Obama's presidency as most rational lefties, and I realize inaugurating our first black president is a big deal, but this Obama worship has got to stop. So far, all he has really proven is that he is an amazing orator, fundraiser, and campaigner. Some of these things are important traits of a good President, but to this point, Obama hasn't done anything to prove he is a good president. And last time I checked, the country is in the shitter. Everything about inauguration sounds a little excessive, and I think it's an odd time to be having such an extravagant (not to mention costly) celebration. People seem to think it is going to be some sort of can't-miss historical event, but I can't say I have ever heard anyone talk about any past inaugurations as anything that memorable. So why is this going to be different?

I've expressed these thoughts to some friends, and they mostly say, "don't be such a downer, it's just a party." Frankly, I think we've done enough celebrating of Obama. I'm over it. I thought that is what election night was for, when tens of thousands of people showed up to see him speak in Chicago. When people took to the streets of New York City to yell and scream and hug strangers. It was an amazing night, and Obama did an excellent job of managing expectations during his address that night. The country seems to think we need one more party, but it seems to me like the past two years have essentially been one giant party for Obama, capped off by a rager on November 4.

It's probably unrealistic to expect Obama's minions not to turn this inauguration into a frenzy, so I guess there was no way for him and his staff to stop it. But let's stop pretending he is some sort of mythical savior, because he's not. I can only hope that Obama downplays the hysteria during his address, and then we can finally find out if he is actually going to turn things around. I'm optimistic, but so were Notre Dame fans about Clausen.

4 comments:

David Crowley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Crowley said...

Is John McCain more like David Garrard or Hubert Davis?

Discuss.

Nima Shirazi said...

Couldn't agree more.

Isn't this the guy who is planning to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan to continue the devastating occupation?

Maybe if Israel stops its genocide in Gaza and is brought to the Hague for war crimes by Tuesday there might be cause to celebrate.

Wary TarCanian said...

Right on, Matty. I've tried to make this point a few times, but no one wants to hear it from someone with my right-of-center-on-most-things politics.

That said, I'm gratified that I'm starting to seem more optimistic about the Obama presidency than some people on the other side of the spectrum, like your pal LB there.

Some people seem surprised that Obama isn't going to end all war tomorrow, that he's willing to have a guy who he disagrees with on some issues give the inaugural invocation and that he is - gasp - listening to Republicans. I for one take it as a sign that the real change he'll bring is trying to govern from the middle, less concerned about who gets credit than being effective. That's what we need, not French Revolution, off-with-their heads recrimination against the party that has, admittedly, performed poorly. (I tell people that I hate Republicans too, just probably for different reasons than you do.)

Obama's been gracious in victory and, so far, has cut a figure that's both entirely presidential and somehow still refreshingly new.

Frankly, if more people had listened to you, Capt. Meyers, and paid attention to what Obama was saying instead of being swept up in the emotion and thrill - understandable, granted - of the prospect of an anti-Bush in the White House, the response to his election would have been much more sober. He's a centrist, which means sometimes he actually might seem more like Bush than Nancy Pelosi. That should come as no surprise, but it has caught some off guard.

It actually is going to be very interesting to see how his own party responds to him. After all, he leapfrogged them significantly by going from freshman senator to leader of the free world. Can Congressional Democrats stifle whatever resentment they might have about that and push forward his agenda?

Not sure where that came from. Sorry.

Anywho, like your blog and hope you're doing well.

Dees